Scroll down for more information on a specific event or project.
Save the date: April 7, 2018 from 8:20-3:30
Mike Heger, author of Perennials for Cold Climates and former owner of Ambergate Gardens will be the 2018 keynote speaker will open our session with “Best Performing Perennials for Cold Climates, Tried and True with a Hint of New.”
Other notable speakers include:
- Gary Johnson, University of Minnesota professor of Urban and Community Forestry, Department of Forest Resources and Extension will offer, “A Changing Climate and the Best Trees for 2050.”
- David Zlesak, associate professor of horticulture at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, will offer “Plant Introduction Pipeline,” an interesting topic about navigating new plant selections.
- Deb Kvamme from Hennepin Technical College will offer two “Make & Take Fairy Garden” classes.
- Kate Magnusson, Executive Director, Partnership for Tick-borne Diseases Education will offer a session on “Tick-borne Diseases and Prevention”.
- Becky Swenson, owner/grower of over 1000 different varieties of peonies will offer “Peerless Peonies.”
- John and Jenny Thull from University of MN are growers of over 300 “Pumpkins, Gourds and Squash” varieties for the Arboretum every year, and will offer a class on the same topic.
Plus we have many highly talented Extension Master Gardeners teaching other topics including growing herbs, bulbs, ferns, lakescaping and more.
Anoka County Master Gardeners host the Home Landscaping & Garden Fair at the Bunker Hills Activities Center, 550 Bunker Lake Blvd NW, Andover, MN 55304.
The public is invited to attend this horticulture-based adult educational event. This event includes a guest keynote speaker, many professional educators, Master Gardener presenters and an exhibitor fair.
Anoka Armory, 408 E Main St, Anoka
PLANT SALE DATES FOR 2018
Tuesday, May 15, 2018 from 4:00-7:00 PM & Wednesday, May 16, 2018 from 8:00 AM-1:30 PM
Shop for great values on perennials, annuals, vegetables, herbs, native plants, houseplants and more while supporting the programs of the Anoka County Master Gardener program. There are thousands of plants to choose from. There is plenty of parking nearby. Come early as some selections run out quickly.
Walk in the Garden Classes
Enjoy summer evenings in the beautiful Veterans' Peace and Memorial Garden learning about a variety of gardening topics at the Anoka County Parks Bunker Hills Activities Center location. Classes are free but space is limited. Pre-registration is required by calling 763-324-3495
Check back in March 2018 for the schedule.
SCHOOLYARD GARDENS CONFERENCE 2018
Friday, March 2, 2018
At the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, Chaska
$65 Arboretum members and conference affiliates (sponsors, endorsing organizations, and conference collaborators)
$75 general registration
Conference Web Page & Agenda
Schoolyard Gardens provide an incomparable, hands-on opportunity for students to meet academic standards, engage with community partners, learn about agriculture, healthy eating, cultural competency and connect with natural systems. Whether you are a beginner or schoolyard garden veteran, join us in March to learn innovative strategies, sustaining and engaging diverse learners in a thriving schoolyard garden.
Presented by the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum and the University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program in collaboration with the Minnesota Schoolyard Gardens Coalition